In just a few short weeks, Valentine’s Day will be here. If you’re planning on celebrating with that special someone, remember to keep your pet’s health in mind. This holiday presents a few hazards for our cats and dogs! Your Bourne, MA vet tells you more below.
If there’s one thing that’s common around Valentine’s Day, it’s those heart-shaped boxes of chocolates. Remember that chocolate of all types is very bad for pets! It contains stimulants, theobromine and caffeine, that don’t agree with our four-legged friends. Candy is also dangerous, as it often contains xylitol, an artificial sugar that can poison your pet easily.
Your best course of action is to store all chocolates, candies, and other sweet treats in a closed container or cabinet where pets can’t reach them. That way, you know that there’s no danger!
If you’re lighting a few candles to set up a romantic atmosphere, do so carefully. It’s easy for your pet to swipe a paw or tail through an open candle flame, startling themselves and possibly knocking over the candle. It’s also possible for the candle’s hot wax to burn your pet! Try placing candles in areas where pets won’t be exploring.
Lilies are very common around Valentine’s Day, and they’re often found in floral arrangements and bouquets. These flowers are very hazardous for pets, though. They’re known to be poisonous to cats, and might be able to harm your dog as well. Toxic lilies include the Asiatic and Japanese lily, day lily, tiger lily, Lily of the Valley, and more—check any bouquets and arrangements you receive this holiday to make sure they’re not harboring something harmful for your companion.
Roses are even more common during the Valentine’s Day season. While they’re not toxic for your dog or cat, the sharp thorns found on the rose stem can harm your pet if they decide to munch on them. It’s best to keep your pet away from any and all plant life.
Keep an eye on your beverages if your Valentine’s Day celebrations will include alcohol. Alcohol actually affects pets just like it affects us, except that very small amounts can lead to poisoning. Don’t let your pet imbibe!
For more tips on keeping Fido or Fluffy safe this Valentine’s Day, contact your Bourne, MA veterinary clinic for help.